OpenFOAM can carry out post-processing (and run-time control) automatically while the simulation is running using function objects. In v2.0.0, the range of available functionality has been extended to include the following:
abortCalculation– Watches for presence of the named file in the case directory and aborts the calculation if it is present.
coded– See Run-time Control: Code Compilation
faceSourceextended to integrals (e.g. mass flux) over any
sampleSurface, e.g. triSurfaceMesh.
nearWallFields– generates a volField with boundary values from interpolated internal field, at a given distance from the wall.
partialWrite– allows registered objects, e.g. fields, to be written at different times (frequencies).
streamLine– generates streamlines in one of the sample formats.
timeActivatedFileUpdate– modifies case settings at specified times in a simulation.
writeRegisteredObject– writes registered objects, e.g. fields that are not scheduled to be written in the application, i.e. created with
Below is an example of an image the elements of which are created from data files generated by function objects, rather than by post-processing the actual OpenFOAM solution data itself. The image includes streamlines, a cutting plane, coloured by velocity, and the motor bike surface, coloured by pressure.
- fieldFunctionObjects library
- IOFunctionObjects library
- jobControl library
- utilityFunctionObjects library
- Example controlDict files in the source code, listed with the command:
find $FOAM_SRC/postProcessing -name controlDict
- Examples in the tutorials, listed with the command:
find $FOAM_TUTORIALS -name controlDict | xargs grep -l functions
Other Changes to Post-Processing
Other new features and improvements in post-processing include the following.
- Paraview and the foamToVTK utility now include full support for polyhedral cells.
- The foamToEnsight utility supports parallel continuous data so that isosurfaces, etc., are continuous across processor boundaries, and includes a new
-nodeValuesoption to generate and output nodal field data.
- A new singleCellMesh utility converts a mesh and fields to a single cell mesh, so that only boundary data is preserved; useful for post-processing large cases.
- A steadyParticleTracks utility generates VTK tracks from data for a particle cloud.
- The sampling library includes a new
ensightoutput format for surface sampling and a new
patchInternalFieldsampling surface that operates like
patchsamples the internal field, instead of the boundary (patch) field.